Robert Shapiro, public health librarian at the Medical Center Library, is the recipient of a Wethington Award. The university-wide award program, named for former UK President Charles T. Wethington, recognizes the success of individual faculty in contributing to the university’s research program by competitively obtaining extramural funding. The criteria for the selection of nominees must include evidence of scholarly productivity and excellence such as:
- number of grants submitted and funded as PI or co-PI;
- percent of salary funded from grants;
- refereed publications and quality of journals;
- training of graduate students or postdoctoral fellows;
- regional or national awards; or
- patents or commercialization activity.