The University of Kentucky Libraries is pleased to announce the opening call for the inaugural Dean’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Scholarship for the academic year 2016-17.
The award will recognize and celebrate exceptional, original scholarship and research by UK undergraduates whose research projects make substantive and creative use of the UK Libraries’ collections, services, and resources.
“UK Libraries is very pleased to draw attention to the scholarship, innovation, and creativity of UK undergraduate students with this award," Dean of Libraries Terry Birdwhistell said. “This award is another opportunity for UK Libraries to contribute to student success and recognize the important role that library resources play in research by UK students and faculty.”
Submissions are encouraged from all disciplines. Awards are judged on how well the student’s project demonstrates information literacy skills and the effective use of library resources. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2017.
Examples of possible projects include:
- written essay or research project in any field;
- documentary, podcast, interview, or any other multimedia project;
- performance art project, performance, choreography, or other original work;
- studio art project including but not limited to: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, or environmental art;
- original science, mathematics, physics, or engineering project; or
- recorded presentation in any field or discipline.
A cash prize of $1000 will be awarded each year. The student winner and their faculty sponsor(s) will be honored at a special event in the spring.
For details about eligibility, evaluation criteria, and submission requirements, please see the UKL Dean’s Award, (libguides.uky.edu/UGRA).